Borris is a Georgian, granite village, full of charm and heritage nestling in the fertile valley of the River Barrow and the ideal gateway for nearby Mount Leinster and the Blackstairs Mountains. Its old granite houses and Victorian shop fronts have remained largely intact. Most of the town’s buildings stand on the north side of a steeply rising main street, overshadowed by the presence of the very substantial demesne walls of Borris House.
The Borris Railway Viaduct with its sixteen arches supported by soaring limestone pillars is one of Irelad's best example of monumental 19th Century railway engineering. Designed by the engineer Williaim Le Fanu (1816– 1894) and built by M. Talbot, the Viaduct rises to 60ft high and spans the Borris and Mountain River Valley. It was built at a cost of £20,000 and completed in 1860.